why we don't do santa
Merry Christmas everyone! Let's not let the season of Christmas end just because December 25th has passed.
Thursday, December 29, 2011
Why we don't do santa
I hope you don't find this offensive or judgmental. I am only sharing this because some people don't understand why we don't do santa. As Christians we strive to live holy lives that are pleasing to the Lord. First Corinthians 10:31 says "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." I don't believe there is anything about santa that can bring glory to God.
We will tell Claire, and any of the earthly children we are blessed with, about St. Nicholas, and his story.
We are trying to teach Claire not to give in to the sinful nature - not to lie, etc. Leviticus 19:11 says "Do not steal. Do not lie. Do not deceive one another." So why would I tell her anything about santa being real? It is deceitful and a lie.
I want my children to grow up knowing God's Word and what He has done for us all. Because we all have sinned (Rom. 3:23) God had to send His own Son to die on the cross for us, to pay that penalty that we deserve. I want my children to know that Jesus was the penalty for us. How can I teach them about Jesus and also tell them about santa? How will they decipher which one is real? And why should they believe me about Jesus if I am telling them a lie about santa?
We believe that everything we have is a blessing from God, and telling our children that it is anything but that just seems like a slap in the face to Him. If we do presents on Christmas, I want them to know how special it is and not that it was because they were "good" all year but because we have been given the means to do it. I want them to be "good" based on Biblical principles, not because they think a fake man is going to get them gifts if they obey. I want them to be grateful for the abundant blessings He has poured out on us, and not become self-focused on what they did to deserve the gifts.
I want my children looking forward to Christmas each year. Not because they know they will get presents (because maybe they won't always) but because it is the birth of our Savior. We should be doing all we can to help them understand the sacrifice He made for us, which first starts with His birth...the true meaning of Christmas!
We are already talking about teaching our children how to give in the Christmas season. Our children may get a gift or 2 on Christmas, but they will be picking out gifts to give to children who need things. The money we would spend on gifts will be spent instead on donations to different organizations that help those in need around our very broken, hurting world.
Posted by My name is Heather. at 2:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 comments:
Post a Comment