Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Vacation

It's been nearly 3 yrs since we have gone on a vacation. We went to our usual place at Siesta Key, FL, but my daughter was so difficult then, we tapped out. We spent most of our time at my mother-in-laws instead. Then I got pregnant with triplets, travel was OUT of the question. Then we lost the triplets and I couldn't bear to go anywhere without them. Now we stand, nearly 2 yrs after our loss, and really, really needing a vacation. Anthony and I were fighting every day. Our families were driving us crazy with their unnecessary opinions on how we were raising out children (that could be a blog in and of itself!), my daughter was very emotional and needing more individualized attention, and mommy and daddy needed to not worry about the everyday stresses of life. We scheduled our trip before Dominic was even born, and boy was the timing absolutely perfect. Packing was chaotic, and the vacation was not like they once were when they were "childless", but the look on my daughters face every morning going to the beach, the fun memories created, and the beautiful traditions we want to uphold, all worth the sleepless nights and days that we endured.

I procrastinated in packing which made it a bit more stressful, but I work better under pressure, so there's that plus. The morning we were leaving I text my friend "Is it weird that I want to pack my children's urns with me?!" Only a very few people could I say that to and not seem creepy or weird. She is one of them. I wish they could have experienced the Gulf with us as a family, but they are one better now, chillin' with the One who made that ocean. That thought was the most comforting on the entire trip every time I was feeling guilty for enjoying the moments with my family that is here on this earth. Weird place to be. Awkward. Living life here without some of my children. Missing them, but enjoying the ones I am blessed with here.

Anyways, the trip down was smooth, unless you count the fact that we missed our boarding call and were the LAST ones to get on the plane, and there were no 2 seats together. Finally, finding 2 seats together, it was me, my almost 3 yr old at the time, and my infant son. My husband was behind me after someone finally decided to take pity on us, and my mother sat 5 rows up. That was fun. Can't wait to do that again. No one lost it on the plane, tantrum or digestive wise. Dominic had an explosive diaper, all over me and him. Que naked baby on the plane. Claire pooped (thankfully we had put her in a diaper just in case), and so Anthony had to change her standing up. In and airplane bathroom. Bumping both their heads on any and everything. Camera's should follow us. They really should. I'd tune in to watch! It's comical now. Then, I think I developed an ulcer right there on that 2 1/2 hr flight.

We had a whirlwind stay at my mother-in-laws and celebrated Claire's birthday in a BIG way. My mother-in-law was beaming ear to ear. She doesn't get to spend many birthdays with the kids being so far away. The first night both kids screamed bloody murder and wouldn't go to bed. At around 10pm they were finally both passed out, and so was mom and dad. For like an hour. That first night was ROUGH. Then we left for our condo on Siesta Key Beach. That night was just as rough. Dominic was up every hour one night. Every 20 minutes the next. NO lie. I saw 3am, 3:20am, 3:40am, and so on. But we mustered up the energy to play at the beach and pool every day. Claire saw the white sandy beach for the first time (Siesta Key beach is the #2 beach in America, known for it's white, powder like sand), and she shouted "SNOW!" Yup, we are from NY folks. Anything white and covering the ground is assumed snow. She loved to get buried in the sand, and play in the tide pools, and just run all over the beach. I don't think she stopped giggling for 3 days! It was so wonderful seeing her so happy, and getting to celebrate who she is and the miracle that is her. We got mani's and Pedi's one day. She absolutely loved that.

Our trip home was better in that we all got to sit together on the plane ride home, and no one puked or pooped. Hooray! We got home close to 10pm and everyone was whooped! Anthony, Claire, and Dominic literally slept ALL day Sunday. They are both pretty much back to their routines as well, which really helps in the "mommy needs her sleep" department.

There are more pictures than the average person would care to view on here, so you can check them out on my facebook if you like, just look for me @ heathermarie if you aren't on there already. I'll leave you with a few of my favs though:

 just chillin at the beach
 
 us girls getting our mani's and Pedi's
 
 my brave girl catching some sun (in the shade)
 
 one of her fav things to do on the beach
 
 just her size palm tree
 
 my beach bum
 
 our footprints...just missing a few pairs
 
 another day, another bury
 
 so excited to be going to the beach!
 
 dipping his toes in the Gulf of Mexico for the first time
 
"we are going to the beach again!? hooray!!!"

3 comments:

Krista said...

great memories even if a lot of them seemed not so fun at the time! Sounds like our trip down to FL this year as well. My parents love Siesta Key- say it is beautiful.

The Howard Bunch said...

While beach vacations generally don't sound too great to me (I know, I'm crazy. I don't like sand!). Yours looked like SOOO much fun! I'm jealous!

kelly elizabeth said...

Love your girl time with Claire! so happy you got a vaca. Now, when is your vaca from your vaca?