Friday, January 2, 2009

2009

It's here. The new year has arrived, and everyone is scrambling to make or keep their resolutions. Me...I don't even attempt. I figured that if there's something I want to do, change, improve, take out of my life, I don't need the rolling over of the calendar year to do it. My husband and I read either from the bible or from our devotional every night before we pray and go to bed. Our current devotional has a discussion section at the end. So, we've gotten into the habit of discussing things in our lives, whether blessings, family, our marriage, our personality flaws, etc, whatever it is and disecting it in a brief conversation before we then pray and drift off to sleep. Each day we take into consideration something (or in my case many things)that I could work harder at. It always seems though, that when I wake up in the morning, I've forgotten to put it to practice yet again. I don't need a new year to help me struggle through keeping a resolution in my routine, I need a miracle! We are who we are right? Emotional, non-emotional, sarcastic, sincere, caddy, dedicated, lazy, the list goes on and on. How does someone work at correcting a personality flaw, or a bad habit, or an unhealthy routine? Practice? A drill sergeant? I always wanted to get back into the habit of working out like I did when I was in school. Sometimes I go a week, sometimes I go a month, sometimes I go a year! That's with anything, getting up a bit earlier to study more of the Word, to pray more often, to pray less selfishly, to become more involved in my church, to not be a work-a-holic, etc...but it always seems to end up like it began. Me trying, and me failing.

As my husband and I plan a family, things are only going to get busier, life is only going to have to be spread a little thinner, time is only going to go by faster. How do you make it allwork then, if it doesn't work now? People do it though. I see people doing it every day. How?

I want to make it all work. I want to be successful at time management, relationships, and character development. I guess you could call that my New Year's Resolution, or how about my January 2nd Resolution, for I'm pretty sure it will change, or be added to/taken away from over the next days...weeks...months.

Anyone else make New Year's Resolutions? Or Daily Resolutions? Anyone have any secrets they can share at how to make them last?!

Happy New Year!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, yes. So true. There is never enough time in the day to be as productive as I want. Or, I suck at organizing my day to MAKE it productive. How, I wonder, will I ever manage this when I'm married or have kids? Because, as far as I can see...life is just never THAT simple. There's always something in the midst needing to be done, read, filed, cleaned, washed, written, fixed and, well...you know what I mean.

See now, I've exhausted myself. I better go take a nap.